Images, video and reports from an opportunistic visit to Heard Island and McDonald Islands in December, 2008Entry ID: Heard_2008_Images
Abstract: In December 2008, the RSV Aurora Australis had an opportunity to visit Heard Island and McDonald Islands. A number of activities took place and included:
- An aerial survey (16th December) from the north coast of Red Island (west end) to the end of The Spit. The helicopter flew approximately 1.5 km offshore and at an altitude of about 1900 ft. Then it flew directly to the west coast and surveyed ... from Henderson Bluff to Kildalke. Video, stereo photos and photos of wildlife colonies and areas of interest were taken.
- An aerial survey (17th December) from The Spit travelling along the south coast. Then repeating the aerial survey of the 16th. The survey of the 16th was in dull light and was repeated on the 17th when light was better.
- A ship-based survey from Atlas Roads to the north coast of The Spit was made on the 16th December and from Atlas Roads to Red Island on the 17th December. Stereo photos, photos of wildlife and named features and video were taken about 2nm offshore.
- A team of people visited Atlas Cove and assessed the huts and ruins, took stereo photos of heritage items and elephant seals.
- A small team flew around the Island and assessed and photographed the hut sites.
- On the 17th December, the RSV Aurora Australis sailed past McDonald Islands. Visibility was poor so only a few photos were taken.
- Water samples were taken for AAS Project 2899.
More information is included in documents and spreadsheets, including some GPS locations of where photographs were taken, by whom and photo descriptions.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Harris, U.
Dataset Title: Images, video and reports from an opportunistic visit to Heard Island and McDonald Islands in December, 2008
Dataset Series Name: CAASM Metadata
Dataset Release Date: 2013-07-24
Dataset Publisher: Australian Antarctic Data CentreOnline Resource: https://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/metadata_redirect.cfm?md=/AMD...
Start Date: 2008-12-16Stop Date: 2008-12-17
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > BOUNDARIES > BOUNDARY SURVEYS
BIOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION > ANIMALS/VERTEBRATES > MAMMALS > CARNIVORES > SEALS/SEA LIONS/WALRUSES
BIOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION > ANIMALS/VERTEBRATES > BIRDS > PENGUINS
CRYOSPHERE > GLACIERS/ICE SHEETS > GLACIERS
TERRESTRIAL HYDROSPHERE > SURFACE WATER > LAKES
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > INFRASTRUCTURE > BUILDINGS
Quality A lot of staff were involved in the image collection. People were asked to volunteer for multiple tasks. People are listed in the Voyage Leader's report by Andy Cianchi, a summary document by Gary Miller, a Field Huts report by Bob Jones and an excel document listing all photography.
There is a mix of file formats for the photography. Some include the RAW files in proprietary formats. Most are JPEGS.
Access Constraints These data are only available to personnel involved in the Australian Antarctic program. AAp staff outside of the Australian Antarctic Division will need to contact the Australian Antarctic Data Centre for access.
Use Constraints This data set conforms to the PICCCBY Attribution License
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=Heard_20... when using these data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: HTTP
Distribution Size: 46.5 GB
Distribution Format: Images, Video, Excel, Word
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: +61 3 6232 3519
Fax: +61 3 6232 3351
Email: gis at aad.gov.au
Australian Antarctic Division 203 Channel Highway
Province or State: Tasmania
Postal Code: 7050
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2013-07-23
Last DIF Revision Date: 2014-09-11