NEFSC 1995 AJ9501 (Part I)Entry ID: seamap56
Abstract: The ship survey was performed from 22 July 1991 to 30 August 1991 to estimate the abundance and spatial distribution of harbor porpoises. The study area, covering approximately 13,300 nm , was from Port Clyde, ME to 2 St. John, New Brunswick over to the Nova Scotian coast, up to Liverpool, Nova Scotia.
Purpose: PRIMARY OBJECTIVES
1) Estimate the abundance of harbor porpoises in the Gulf of Maine - Bay of Fundy - Nova Scotia area. 2) Investigate if there are any spatial distribution patterns of the harbor porpoises, and if those patterns are correlated with water depth or harbor porpoise group size.
1) Estimate the abundance and spatial distribution of other cetaceans.
2) ... Determine if harbor porpoise avoid this ship, and if so, at what distance.
3) Determine if there is a spatial distribution pattern of mother-calf pairs of harbor porpoise.
4) Compare the abundance estimate and spatial distribution of harbor porpoise as seen this year with that seen in previous years.
5) Investigate if inland bays can be surveyed using a rigidhull inflatable boat as the observation platform in a line transect survey.
6) Determine if Buckland's sighting procedure (1991), which is a line transect survey using both a primary and marking team, is a feasible procedure to estimate the abundance of harbor porpoise in the Bay of Fundy area.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: In addition to the sighting data, effort data was recorded every half hour or whenever conditions change. This dataset, therefore, should be used with the effort data.
CURRENTNESS REFERENCE: ground condition
SPATIAL DATA ORGANIZATION INFORMATION
Direct Spatial Reference: Vector SDTS
Point and Vector Object Type: Entity point
Point and Vector Object Count: 150
SPATIAL REFERENCE INFORMATION - GEODETIC MODEL
Horizontal Datum Name: D_WGS_1984
Ellipsoid Name: WGS_1984
Semi-major Axis: 6378137.000000
Denominator of Flattening Ratio: 298.257224
NATIVE: Microsoft Windows 2000 Version 5.0 (Build 2195) Service Pack 4; ESRI ArcCatalog 22.214.171.1240
(Click for Interactive Map)
Start Date: 1986-01-01
ISO Topic Category
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: +44 (0)1223 221594
Phone: +44 (0) 1223 221312
Fax: +44 (0)1223 362616
Email: aedc at bas.ac.uk
Antarctic Environmental Data Centre British Antarctic Survey High Cross, Madingley Road
Province or State: Cambridgeshire
Postal Code: CB3 0ET
Country: UNITED KINGDOM
Email: rehi at bas.ac.uk
British Antarctic Survey High Cross, Madingley Road
Postal Code: CB3 OET
Country: United Kingdom
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2000-06-21
Last DIF Revision Date: 2006-10-13