[Parameters: Topic='BIOSPHERE', Term='ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS', Variable_Level_1='SPECIES/POPULATION INTERACTIONS']
Laser Vegetation Imaging Sensor (LVIS) Dataset over Maryland and VirginiaEntry ID: GSFC_LVIS_MDVA_2003
Abstract: Laser Vegetation Imaging Sensor (LVIS) data collected over Maryland, Virginia and patuxent Watershed. There is novel applications to build 3-D images of canopy height, elevation, complexity, and habitat structure.
The primary data products are:
* Earth topography (bare ground with vegetation removed).
* Vertical structure of tree canopies.
* Biomass estimates and above ground carbon stocks.
* Surface roughness.
* Entropy or Information density of the surveyed surface
Source: GSFC/LVIS Team
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: J. B. Blair, M. A. Hofton, and D. L. Rabine.
Dataset Title: Processing of NASA LVIS elevation and canopy (LGE, LCE and LGW) data products
Dataset Release Date: 2006
Dataset Publisher: Code 698 NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.
Version: 1.01Online Resource: http://lvis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Start Date: 2003-08-14Stop Date: 2003-08-16
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > BIOMASS
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > CANOPY CHARACTERISTICS
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > CARBON
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > CROWN
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > FOREST COMPOSITION/VEGETATION STRUCTURE
LAND SURFACE > TOPOGRAPHY > TERRAIN ELEVATION
SOLID EARTH > GRAVITY/GRAVITATIONAL FIELD > CONTROL SURVEYS
SOLID EARTH > GRAVITY/GRAVITATIONAL FIELD > GRAVITY
SOLID EARTH > GRAVITY/GRAVITATIONAL FIELD
SPECTRAL/ENGINEERING > LIDAR > LIDAR BACKSCATTER
BIOSPHERE > ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS > SPECIES/POPULATION INTERACTIONS > USE/FEEDING HABITATS
BIOSPHERE > ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS > ECOSYSTEM FUNCTIONS > BIOMASS DYNAMICS
Access Constraints While substantial efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of data and documentation, complete accuracy of data sets can not be guaranteed. All data are made available "as is". The LVIS team can not assume responsibility for damages resulting from mis-use or mis-interpretation of datasets or from errors or omissions that may exist in the data. Data users are welcome to collaborate with the ... LVIS team, as this may minimize the potential for misinterpretation of the data.
In order to develop an active community and ensure the flow of ideas between interested parties, the LVIS team makes the following suggestions of individuals who download LVIS data:
- On projects that are integrally dependent on LVIS data, you have the option to request collaboration and/or co-authorship from the LVIS team. (NOTE: This is in no way binding. You are free to use the data on your own. You are not expected or required to contact or work with us in any way. This is simply a suggestion.)
- Please acknowledge the source of the data set as the LVIS team/ project and the appropriate NASA Grant numbers responsible for funding these data sets in any publications using these data and documentation (see LVIS Citations)
- Consider notifying (a simple email will suffice) the LVIS Principal Investigator when any derivative work based on or derived from the data and/or documentation is distributed or presented. (We always appreciate when our data is used and helps result in scientific publications.)
- When derivatives of the LVIS data are distributed in any way, notify subsequent users that such derivative work is not the original LVIS data and/or documentation distributed on the LVIS web site
- Do not redistribute original data and documentation yourself, instead please direct individuals to http://lvis.gsfc.nasa.gov. It is important that we have the ability to contact users of LVIS data so that we can notify them when we upload new data sets and/or correct mistakes in the existing data sets.
- If you would like to share your work with us, we would greatly appreciate it if you would notify us and/or send a reprint of any publications resulting from the use of the data and/or documentation.
Use Constraints See data use at the project home page.
Data Set Progress
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Email: James.B.Blair at nasa.gov
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Mailstop 694.0
Province or State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: (301) 614-6898
Email: Tyler.B.Stevens at nasa.gov
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Global Change Master Directory
Province or State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
Blair, J. B., D. L. Rabine, and M. A. Hofton. 1999. The Laser Vegetation Imaging
Sensor: a medium-altitude, difitisation-only, airborne laser altimeter for mapping vegetation and topography. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing. 54: 115-122.
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2007-09-21
Last DIF Revision Date: 2016-10-18