ADCP data collected during the SAZ-SENSE voyage, January-February 2007Entry ID: ASAC_2720_ADCP
Abstract: Metadata record for data from ASAC Project 2720
See the link below for public details on this project.
The overall objective is to characterise Southern Ocean marine ecosystems, their influence on carbon dioxide exchange with the atmosphere and the deep ocean, and their sensitivity to past and future global change including climate warming, ocean stratification, and ocean ... acidification from ... anthropogenic CO2 emissions. In particular we plan to take advantage of naturally-occurring, persistent, zonal variations in Southern Ocean primary production and biomass in the Australian Sector to investigate the effects of iron addition from natural sources, and CO2 addition from anthropogenic sources, on Southern Ocean plankton communities of differing initial structure and composition.
These samples were collected on the SAZ-SENSE scientific voyage of the Australian Antarctic Program (Voyage 3 of the Aurora Australis, 2006-2007 season).
SAZ-SENSE VOYAGE AU0703 ADCP DATA
* The complete ADCP data for cruise au0703 are in the files:
au070301.cny (ascii format)
a0703dop.mat (matlab format)
* The "on station" ADCP data (specifically, the data for which the ship speed was less than or equal to 0.35 m/s) are in the files:
au0703_slow35.cny (ascii format)
a0703dop_slow35.mat (matlab format)
* The file bindep.dat shows the water depths (in metres) that correspond to the centre of each vertical bin.
* The data are 30 minute averages. Each 30 minute averaging period starts from the time indicated. (so, e.g., an ensemble with time 120000 is the average from
120000 to 123000).
* ADCP currents are absolute - i.e. ship's motion has been subtracted out.
* Note that the top few bins can have bad data from water dragged along by the ship.
* Beware of data when the ship is underway - it's often suspect.
* Important data quality information can be found in the data report referenced above.
* The figure a0703difship30.eps shows the speed difference between vertical bin 2 and all other bins, where the data have been divided up into different speed classes for ship speed. The apparent vertical shear for bins ~1-10, and below bin ~40, is an error, possibly due to acoustic ringing from an air/water interface in the seachest. Data where ship speed is 0 to 1 m/s does not show this error.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Rosenberg, M., Howard, W. and Griffiths, B.
Dataset Title: ADCP data collected during the SAZ-SENSE voyage, January-February 2007
Dataset Series Name: CAASM Metadata
Dataset Release Date: 2010-03-09
Dataset Publisher: Australian Antarctic Data Centre
Dataset DOI: doi:10.4225/15/57AC155E13156Online Resource: https://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/metadata_redirect.cfm?md=/AMD...
This description is a member of a collection. The collection is described in
Start Date: 2007-01-17Stop Date: 2007-02-20
ISO Topic Category
Quality See the readme document in the download file for further information.
Access Constraints These data are publicly available from the provided URL.
Use Constraints This data set conforms to the PICCCBY Attribution License
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=ASAC_272... when using these data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: HTTP
Distribution Size: 791 kb
Distribution Format: matlab, ascii
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Phone: +61 3 6226 7651
Fax: +61 3 6226 2973
Email: Mark.Rosenberg at aad.gov.au
ACE CRC, c/- University of Tasmania Private Bag 80
Province or State: Tasmania
Postal Code: 7001
Email: whoward at unimelb.edu.au
School of Earth Sciences University of Melbourne
Province or State: Victoria
Postal Code: 3010
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: +61 3 6232 3244
Fax: +61 3 6232 3351
Email: dave.connell at aad.gov.au
Australian Antarctic Division 203 Channel Highway
Province or State: Tasmania
Postal Code: 7050
Rosenberg, M. (2007), SAZ-SENSE, Marine Science Cruise AU0703 - Oceanographic Field Measurements and Analysis, ACE Cooperative Research Centre, Hobart, unpublished report
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2010-03-18
Last DIF Revision Date: 2016-10-18