[Personnel: Last_Name='LIVESEY', First_Name='NATHANIEL']
MLS/Aura Level 2 Relative Humidity With Respect To Ice V003 (ML2RHI) at GES DISCEntry ID: GES_DISC_ML2RHI_V003
Abstract: ML2RHI is the EOS Aura Microwave Limb Sounder (MLS) standard product for relative humidity with respect to ice derived from radiances measured by the 118 and 190 GHz radiometers. The current version is 3.3/3.4. Spatial coverage is near-global (-82 deg. to +82 deg. latitude), with each profile spaced 1.5 deg. or ~165 km along the orbit track (roughly 15 orbits per day). The recommended useful ... vertical range is from 316 to 0.0215 hPa, and the vertical resolution is between 3 and 6 km. Users of the ML2RHI data product should read section 3.19 of the EOS MLS Level 2 Version 3.3 and 3.4 Quality Document for more information (http://mls.jpl.nasa.gov/data/v3_data_quality_document.pdf).
Users are encouraged to register with the MLS science team at https://mls.jpl.nasa.gov/forms/reguser.php to obtain updates and information about this data product.
The data are stored in the version 5 EOS Hierarchical Data Format (HDF-EOS5), which is based on the version 5 Hierarchical Data Format, or HDF5. Each file contains two swath objects (one with profile data, the other with column data), each with a set of data and geolocation fields, swath attributes, and metadata. The data fields include the geophysical parameter values and precision (standard deviation), convergence values, data quality, and a status flag. The geolocation fields include a time stamp in TAI-93 format (seconds since January 1, 1993), geodetic latitude and longitude, and pressure level values, as well as local solar time, solar zenith angle, line of sight angle, and orbit geodetic angle. There is one file per day.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: EOS MLS Science Team
Dataset Title: MLS/Aura Level 2 Relative Humidity With Respect To Ice
Dataset Series Name: ML2RHI
Dataset Release Date: 2011-01-19
Dataset Release Place: Greenbelt, MD, USA
Dataset Publisher: NASA Goddard Earth Science Data and Information Services Center
Data Presentation Form: Digital Science DataOnline Resource: http://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/datacollection/ML2RHI_V003.html
Start Date: 2004-08-08
Latitude Resolution: 300 km at limb tagent point (along-track)
Longitude Resolution: 3 km at limb tagent point (cross-track)
Horizontal Resolution Range: 100 km - < 250 km or approximately 1 degree - < 2.5 degrees
Vertical Resolution: 1.5 - 6 km
Temporal Resolution: Twice per day; Day and Night; Orbital repeat cycle 16 days
ISO Topic Category
Use Constraints Users are encouraged to register with the MLS science team at https://mls.jpl.nasa.gov/forms/reguser.php to obtain updates and information about this data product.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: Online (HTTP)
Distribution Size: 1.35 MB per file
Distribution Format: HDF-EOS5 (Swath)
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Email: data at mls.jpl.nasa.gov
Mail Stop 183-701, Jet Propulsion Laboratory 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Province or State: CA
Postal Code: 91109-8099
Email: livesey at mls.jpl.nasa.gov
Mail Stop 183-701, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Province or State: CA
Postal Code: 91109-8099
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Email: James.Johnson at nasa.gov
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Code 610.2
Province or State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
* Wu, L., H. Su, and J.H. Jiang, "Evaluation of the WRF-Chem simulations for biomass burning over South America", J. Geophys. Res., 2010JD015304 , in review.
* L'Ecuyer, T.S., and J.H. Jiang, "Touring the atmosphere aboard the A-Train", Physics Today 63, 7, 36-41, 2010.
* Read, W.G., A. Lambert, J. Bacmeister, R.E. Cofield, L.E. ... Christensen, D.T. Cuddy, W.H. Daffer, B.J. Drouin, E. Fetzer, L. Froidevaux, R. Fuller, R. Herman, R.F. Jarnot, J.H. Jiang, Y.B. Jiang, K. Kelly, B.W. Knosp, H.C. Pumphrey, K.H. Rosenlof, X. Sabounchi, M.L. Santee, M.J. Schwartz, W.V. Snyder, P.C. Stek, H. Su, L.L. Takacs, R.P. Thurstans, H. Vomel, P.A. Wagner, J.W. Waters, C.R. Webster, E.M. Weinstock, and D.L. Wu, "Aura Microwave Limb Sounder upper tropospheric and lower stratospheric H2O and relative humidity with respect to ice validation", J. Geophys. Res. 112, D24S35, doi:10.1029/2007JD008752, 2007.
* Cofield, R.E., and P.C. Stek, "Design and field-of-view calibration of 114-660 GHz optics of the Earth Observing System Microwave Limb Sounder", IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing 44, no. 5, 1166-1181, May 2006.
* Sherwood, S.C., E.R. Kursinski, and W.G. Read, "A distribution law for free-troposphere relative humidity", J. Climate 19, 6267-6277, 2006.
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2010-12-16
Last DIF Revision Date: 2016-01-20
Future DIF Review Date: 2015-06-01