MLS/Aura Level 2 Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) Mixing Ratio V002 (ML2HCN) at GES DISCEntry ID: GES_DISC_ML2HCN_V002
Abstract: ML2HCN is the EOS Aura Microwave Limb Sounder (MLS) standard product for hydrogen cyanide derived from radiances measured primarily by the 190 GHz radiometer. The current version is 2.3. Spatial coverage is near-global (-82 deg. to +82 deg. latitude), with each profile spaced 1.5 deg. or ~165 km along the orbit track (roughly 15 orbits per day). The recommended useful vertical range is from 10 to ... 0.1 hPa, and the vertical resolution is between 8 and 12 km. Users of the ML2HCN data product should read section 3.9 of the EOS MLS Version 2.2 and 2.3 Level 2 Data Quality and Description Document for more information (http://mls.jpl.nasa.gov/data/v2_data_quality_document.pdf).
Users are encouraged to register with the MLS science team at https://mls.jpl.nasa.gov/forms/reguser.php to obtain updates and information about this data product.
The data are stored in the version 5 EOS Hierarchical Data Format (HDF-EOS5), which is based on the version 5 Hierarchical Data Format, or HDF5. Each file contains two swath objects (one with profile data, the other with column data), each with a set of data and geolocation fields, swath attributes, and metadata. The data fields include the geophysical parameter values and precision (standard deviation), convergence values, data quality, and a status flag. The geolocation fields include a time stamp in TAI-93 format (seconds since January 1, 1993), geodetic latitude and longitude, and pressure level values, as well as local solar time, solar zenith angle, line of sight angle, and orbit geodetic angle. There is one file per day.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: EOS MLS Science Team
Dataset Title: MLS/Aura Level 2 Hydrogen Cyanide (HCN) Mixing Ratio
Dataset Series Name: ML2HCN
Dataset Release Date: 2007-01-08
Dataset Release Place: Greenbelt, MD, USA
Dataset Publisher: NASA Goddard Earth Science Data and Information Services Center
Data Presentation Form: Digital Science DataOnline Resource: http://disc.gsfc.nasa.gov/datacollection/ML2HCN_V002.html
Start Date: 2004-08-08
Latitude Resolution: 300 km at limb tagent point (along-track)
Longitude Resolution: 3 km at limb tagent point (cross-track)
Horizontal Resolution Range: 100 km - < 250 km or approximately 1 degree - < 2.5 degrees
Vertical Resolution: 3 - 6 km
Temporal Resolution: Twice per day; Day and Night; Orbital repeat cycle 16 days
ISO Topic Category
Use Constraints Users are encouraged to register with the MLS science team at https://mls.jpl.nasa.gov/forms/reguser.php to obtain updates and information about this data product.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: Online (FTP)
Distribution Size: 0.82 MB per file
Distribution Format: HDF-EOS5 (Swath)
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Email: data at mls.jpl.nasa.gov
Mail Stop 183-701, Jet Propulsion Laboratory 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Province or State: CA
Postal Code: 91109-8099
Email: livesey at mls.jpl.nasa.gov
Mail Stop 183-701, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Province or State: CA
Postal Code: 91109-8099
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Email: James.Johnson at nasa.gov
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Code 610.2
Province or State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
* Pommrich, R., R. Mueller, J.U. Grooss, G. Gunther, P. Konopka, M. Riese, A. Heil, M. Schultz, H.C. Pumphrey, and K.A. Walker, "What causes the irregular cycle of the atmospheric tape recorder signal in HCN?", Geophys. Res. Lett. 37, L16805, 10.1029/2010GL044056, 2010.
* Li, Q., P.I. Palmer, H.C. Pumphrey, P. Bernath, and E. Mahieu, "What drives the observed ... variability of HCN in the troposphere and lower stratosphere?", Atmos. Chem. Phys. 9, 8531-8543, 2009.
* Pumphrey, H.C., C. Boone, K.A. Walker, P. Bernath, and N.J. Livesey, "The tropical tape recorder observed in HCN", Geophys. Res. Lett. 35, L05801, doi:10.1029/2007GL032137, 2008.
* Cofield, R.E., and P.C. Stek, "Design and field-of-view calibration of 114-660 GHz optics of the Earth Observing System Microwave Limb Sounder", IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing 44, no. 5, 1166-1181, May 2006.
* Pumphrey, H.C., C.J. Jimenez, and J.W. Waters, "Measurement of HCN in the middle atmosphere by EOS MLS", Geophys. Res. Lett. 33, L08804, doi:10.1029/2005GL025656, 2006.
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2006-09-20
Last DIF Revision Date: 2016-01-20
Future DIF Review Date: 2015-06-01