Science Keywords>BIOSPHERE>ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS>SPECIES/POPULATION INTERACTIONS>GRAZING DYNAMICS/PLANT HERBIVORY
FRagility of Arctic Goose habitat: Impacts of Land use, conservation and Elevated temperaturesEntry ID: FRAGILE
Abstract: The tundra ecosystem lies under threat. Increased numbers of breeding geese, caused by changes in European land use and bird protection measures, may damage the vulnerable tundra vegetation. Examples of this damage are already apparent in the Canadian Arctic. Also climate change may cause changes in the system. The FRAGILE project studies the possible effects of climate change and increased numbers of breeding geese on the tundra in Svalbard.
Purpose: * To provide an understanding of why goose numbers change.
* To predict future habitat and land use changes that will affect goose populations.
* To predict future changes in the numbers of geese.
* To identify tundra ecosystem processes which are most vulnerable to the combined drivers of high goose grazing pressure and climatic warming.
* To determine thresholds for arctic tundra ecosystem degradation.
* To predict carrying capacity of Svalbard tundra for geese and potential effects of likely future goose populations.
* To integrate the research with stakeholder objectives and areas of responsibility.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Ad Huiskes
Dataset Title: FRAGILE
Dataset Release Place: The Netherlands
Dataset Publisher: Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ)
Start Date: 2002-10-01Stop Date: 2006-03-31
BIOSPHERE > ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS > SPECIES/POPULATION INTERACTIONS > GRAZING DYNAMICS/PLANT HERBIVORY
BIOSPHERE > ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS > SPECIES/POPULATION INTERACTIONS > EXOTIC SPECIES
BIOSPHERE > ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS > COMMUNITY DYNAMICS > GRAZING DYNAMICS / PLANT ECOLOGY
BIOSPHERE > ECOLOGICAL DYNAMICS > ECOSYSTEM FUNCTIONS > BIOMASS DYNAMICS
Data Set Progress
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: +31 (0)113 577445
Fax: +31 (0)113 573616
Email: ad.huiskes at nioz.nl
Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ) P.O.Box 140
Province or State: Zeeland
Postal Code: 4400 AC
Country: The Netherlands
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2012-01-11
Last DIF Revision Date: 2016-11-18