USGS FCT NepalEntry ID: USGS_FCT_Nepal
Abstract: The Forest Carbon Tracking Task (GEO FCT) has been established to support countries wanting to establish national forest-change, carbon estimation and reporting systems. It will facilitate access to long-term satellite, airborne and in situ data, provide the associated analysis and prediction tools, and create the appropriate framework and technical standards for a global network of national forest carbon tracking systems. The task follows the guidelines set out by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). Its outputs will be available to support interested countries in their efforts to implement the Convention. The task is being carried out by a partnership of GEO member governments, key UN bodies, space agencies, the science community and the private sector.
Purpose: The GEO Forest Carbon Tracking Task seeks to:
1) Define a set of standards, methods and requirements that future spatially explicit National Forest Monitoring and Carbon Accounting Systems could adopt, to provide the most accurate results relying on the full potential of existing observational and processing capabilities.
2) Coordinate the use of data from current and planned Earth ... observing satellites operated by GEO member countries to provide the technical capability and continuity to support the monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) information required by future regulatory frameworks for the inclusion of forests in post-Kyoto climate agreements.
3) Coordinate the use of in-situ data, models and verification techniques, considered here as essential elements of future MRV systems.
4) Secure time-series of SAR and optical satellite data and analysis tools, integrated with ecosystem models and in-situ data, that can be used interoperably and in complementary ways to support the information needs of MRV systems for FCT.
5) Appropriate international institutional frameworks, and supporting data policies allowing open access and application of the supporting satellite datasets will be essential to secure the sustained supply of information in support of MRV requirements.
(Click for Interactive Map)
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: U.S. Geological Survey
Dataset Title: Forest Carbon Tracking - Borneo Island
Dataset Release Date: 2010
Dataset Publisher: U.S. Geological SurveyOnline Resource: http://lsiexplorer.cr.usgs.gov
Start Date: 1975-02-25
Latitude Resolution: 30m
Longitude Resolution: 30m
AGRICULTURE > FOREST SCIENCE > FOREST MANAGEMENT
AGRICULTURE > FOREST SCIENCE > FOREST PROTECTION
AGRICULTURE > FOREST SCIENCE > REFORESTATION
BIOSPHERE > TERRESTRIAL ECOSYSTEMS > FORESTS
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > BIOMASS
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > CARBON
BIOSPHERE > VEGETATION > FOREST COMPOSITION/VEGETATION STRUCTURE
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > HABITAT CONVERSION/FRAGMENTATION > DEFORESTATION
ISO Topic Category
Distribution Media: Electronic/On-line
Role: SERF AUTHOR
Phone: (301) 614-6898
Email: Tyler.B.Stevens at nasa.gov
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Global Change Master Directory
Province or State: MD
Postal Code: 20771
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Phone: (425) 482-3310
Phone: (425) 485-5800
Fax: (425) 485-5566
Email: hugh at nw.saic.com
SAIC Corporation 18912 NORTH CREEK PARKWAY SUITE 101
Province or State: WA
Postal Code: 98011
Creation and Review Dates