Subantarctic zone oceanography - SAZ Project 1997-1998 - Phosphate ModelingEntry ID: ASAC_2256_Phosphate
Abstract: Oceanographic processes in the subantarctic region contribute crucially to the physical and biogeochemical aspects of the global climate system. To explore and quantify these contributions, the Antarctic Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) organised the SAZ Project, a multidisciplinary, multiship investigation carried out south of Australia in the austral summer of 1997-1998.
Taken from the ... abstracts of the referenced paper:
We developed and applied a one-dimensional (z) biophysical model to the Subantarctic Zone (SAZ) and the Polar Frontal Zone (PFZ) to simulate seasonal phosphate export production and resupply. The physical component of our model was capable of reproducing the observed seasonal amplitude of sea surface temperature and mixed layer depth. In the biological component of the model we used incident light, mixed layer depth, phosphate availability, and estimates of phytoplankton biomass from the Sea-viewing Wide Field-of-view Sensor to determine production and tuned the model to reproduce the observed seasonal cycle of phosphate. We carried out a series of sensitivity studies, taking into account uncertainties in both physical fields and biological formulations (including potential influence of iron limitation), which led to several robust conclusions (as represented by the ranges below). The major growing season contributed 66-76% of the annual export production in both regions. The simulated annual export production was significantly higher in the PZF (68-83 mmol P m-2) than in the SAZ (52-61 mmol P m-2) despite the PFZ's having lower seasonal nutrient depletion. The higher export production in the PFZ was due to its greater resupply of phosphate to the upper ocean during the September to March period (27-37 mmol P m-2) relative to that in the SAZ (8-15 mmol P m-2). Hence seasonal nutrient depletion was a better estimate of seasonal export production in the SAZ, as demonstrated by its higher ratio of seasonal depletion/export (64-78%) relative to that in the PFZ (34-47%). In the SAZ, vertical mixing was the dominant mechanism for supplying phosphate to the euphotic zone, whereas in the PFZ, vertical mixing supplied only 37% of the phosphate to the euphotic zone, whereas in the PFZ, vertical mixing supplied only 37% of the phosphate to the euphotic zone and horizontal transport supplied the remaining 63%.
This data set description is a member of a collection. The collection is described in
Start Date: 1998-03-01Stop Date: 1998-03-31
ISO Topic Category
Quality See the referenced papers for more information.
Access Constraints A copy of the referenced publication are available for download from the provided URL to AAD staff only.
Use Constraints This data set conforms to the PICCCBY Attribution License
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=ASAC_225... when using these data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: HTTP
Distribution Size: 1.1 MB
Distribution Format: pdf
Phone: +61 3 6226 2988
Fax: +61 3 6226 2973
Email: tom.trull at utas.edu.au
GPO BOX 252-80 Antarctic CRC University of Tasmania
Province or State: Tasmania
Postal Code: 7001
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: +61 3 6232 3244
Fax: +61 3 6232 3351
Email: dave.connell at aad.gov.au
Australian Antarctic Division 203 Channel Highway
Province or State: Tasmania
Postal Code: 7050
Xiujun Wang, Richard J. Matear, and Thomas W. Trull (2001), Modeling seasonal phosphate export and resupply in the Subantarctic and Polar Frontal Zones in the Australian sector of the Southern Ocean, Journal of Geophysical Research, 106, C12, 31,525-31,541
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2012-03-08
Last DIF Revision Date: 2014-01-10