Quaternary, Geomorphological and Botanical Studies in the Northern Prince Charles MountainsEntry ID: ASAC_290
Abstract: The aim was to study the glacial history, geomorphology and plant distribution in the Prince Charles Mountains, particularly in the ice-free region around Beaver and Radok Lakes (Amery Oasis). More detailed aims included:
* Measure the underwater shape of Pagodroma Gorge where it is an estuary of tidal Beaver Lake, and relate the estuary to Beaver Lake itself.
* Search along the walls of ... Pagodroma Gorge and elsewhere for evidence about the age and mode of formation of the gorge and its environs.
* Determine the relation between Glossopteris Gully, Radok Lake, and Pagodroma Gorge.
* Was the Radok Lake basin (over 300 m below sea level) dug by Battye Glacier or by ice from other sources?
* What are the geomorphologica1 characteristics and history of the relatively till free eroded area of Permian rocks to the east of Radok Lake?
* Are there raised shorelines and/or fossiliferous deposits in the area?
* What is the distribution and composition of the various tills and moraines in the broad area of the northern Prince Charles Mountains?
* At sites visited, make collections of moss and lichen in this botanically unknown area.
For more details see the full report at the provided URL.
Temporal coverage provided is only approximate.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Adamson, D.
Dataset Title: Quaternary, Geomorphological and Botanical Studies in the Northern Prince Charles Mountains
Dataset Series Name: CAASM Metadata
Dataset Release Date: 2000-11-28
Dataset Publisher: Australian Antarctic Data CentreOnline Resource: https://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/metadata_redirect.cfm?md=/AMD...
Start Date: 1988-11-30Stop Date: 1989-01-15
Quality See the report for more details.
Access Constraints A copy of the report is publicly available for download from the provided URL.
Use Constraints This data set conforms to the PICCCBY Attribution License
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=ASAC_290 when using these data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: HTTP
Distribution Size: 59 kb
Distribution Format: PDF
Role: TECHNICAL CONTACT
Role: DIF AUTHOR
Phone: +61 3 6232 3244
Fax: +61 3 6232 3351
Email: dave.connell at aad.gov.au
Australian Antarctic Division 203 Channel Highway
Province or State: Tasmania
Postal Code: 7050
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2000-11-28
Last DIF Revision Date: 2016-01-27