Record Search Query: [Science_Parameters: Science_Category='EARTH SCIENCE', Science_Topic='SPECTRAL/ENGINEERING', Science_Term='INFRARED WAVELENGTHS']
WebWinds: The Data Analysis and Visualization WWW Tool
Entry ID: 01-WebWinds-00
Abstract: WebWinds is an interactive science data visualization system, written in Java and available for all major computer platforms. Its use does not require any user programming experience since sessions are created by assembling components on the screen via 'point and click'. WebWinds is modular, allowing flexibility in tool construction and application. This version allows internet-based distributed ... processing for the first time so that it can fulfill the needs of data providers as well as data consumers.
The WebWinds user interface uses a direct manipulation approach in that it employs continuous representation of displays and controls requiring physical actions rather than complex syntax. The benefits of this approach are that it allows rapid response to operations with immediately visible effects.
Currently, the main features of WebWinds are:
* The ability to present and manipulate 2 and 3 dimensional data in a variety of 1 and 2 dimensional display tools.
* The ability to subset and subsample data on input or display output, making
it possible to handle very large data sets.
* The ability to concatenate or combine data sets to create a higher order data
* The ability to overlay tabular data on top of images.
* The ability to display several types of coordinate projections for some types
* Simultaneous display and analysis of multiple data sets which may be totally
* Interactive color manipulation.
* The ability to act as a Web browser helper application, making it possible to
survey scientific data archives in interactive mode.
* Ability to save subsetted or subsampled data.
* A scripting language which allows session configuration, re-run and network
* A context sensitive help system.
* Complete, free installation programs (including Java) for most platforms.
ISO Topic Category
Quality This release of WebWinds has been tested but there may be
unforeseen problems. We are interested in hearing about
repeatable crashes and areas where Java appears to have not been
fully implemented. We are less concerned with the 'look and
feel' of the package at this point. For more information on
desired feedback, see our documentation. Please address comments
and questions to email@example.com.
Access Constraints Previously registered Licensees can login to the WebWinds
software archive directly below. New users must not fill in the
"Login ID:" and "Password:" directly below. Instead, they can
gain immediate access (including a Login and Password) by
reading the license agreement below and filling in the form at
its end, indicating your acceptance of its terms.
Jacobson, A.S, A.L. Berkin and M.N. Orton, 1994: LinkWinds: Interactive Scientific Data Analysis and Visualization. Commun. ACM., 34, 43-52.
Creation and Review Dates