The TsunamiReady program is designed to educate local emergency management|
officials and their constituents, and to promote a well-designed tsunami
emergency response plan for each community. TsunamiReady promotes tsunami
hazard preparedness as an active collaboration among federal, state, and local
emergency management agencies. This collaboration supports greater and more
consistent tsunami awareness and mitigation efforts among communities at risk.
The TsunamiReady program is intended to:
* Improve the timeliness and effectiveness of tsunami warnings for the public.
* Provide detailed and clear recommendations by which local emergency
managers may establish/improve effective tsunami emergency operations.
* Help local emergency managers justify costs and purchases related to
supporting their tsunami preparedness program.
* Increase public awareness and understanding of the tsunami hazard.
* Encourage consistency in educational materials and response among
* Reward local tsunami hazard mitigation programs that have achieved a
desired performance level.
* Provide an "image incentive" to coastal counties, cities, and towns that
can identify themselves as being TsunamiReady.
* Encourage better tsunami preparedness programs in jurisdictions
surrounding the TsunamiReady Communities and Counties.
National Weather Service, NOAA, U.S. Department of Commerce
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, National Weather Service, NOAA, DOC
This data set description is a member of a collection. The collection is described in|
Creation and Review Dates
SERF Creation Date:
SERF Last Revision Date: