Record Search Query: ServiceParameters>METADATA HANDLING
Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring Network Data Query and Download
Entry ID: TEAMNETWORK_DATA_QUERY
Abstract: The Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring Network Data Query and Download is a Google map based application for downloading avian, butterfly, climate, primate, vegetation and terrestrial vertebrate data and images. Click on the image to the right to use this application or review the query and download tutorial to get started. For sites with slow network connectivity, the Data Download (Lite) ... application is a non-map based alternative version of the Data Query and Download application.
There is a separate page to download small-footprint, discrete-return lidar data that were collected over the La Selva protected area in Costa Rica in 2009. The data includes coverage of the lowest elevation TEAM vegetation plot at the Volcan Barva TEAM site as well as low-biomass secondary forests and plantations.
We also have a separate page for downloading historic camera trap data. This data contains the initial pilot data for the Camera Trapping Protocol which is no longer being implemented. The active Terrestrial Vertebrate Protocol utilizes camera traps to detect changes in forest vertebrate communities. The Terrestrial Vertebrate data are available for download in the Data Query and Download application.
Access Constraints None
Use Constraints The Tropical Ecology, Assessment and Monitoring (TEAM) Network Data Use Policy outlines the TEAM Network standards for data sharing, access, authorship, citation, and restrictions of TEAM data, and applies to all contributors and users of TEAM data.
The TEAM Network of Conservation International (CI) funds and coordinates the systematic monitoring of biodiversity through a network of ... tropical field stations, to quantify and forecast changes in biodiversity at local, regional and global scales. TEAM aims to understand both the underlying dynamics of biodiversity, and the responses of biodiversity to major drivers of change, particularly changes in climate and land use/land cover. The TEAM Network members recognize that achieving this goal requires the coordination of an integrated and systematic sampling program at multiple spatial and temporal scales. Further, to maximize the utility of TEAM data for change detection and for informing the development of sound conservation strategies, rapid dissemination of TEAM data to the global scientific and conservation communities is crucial. Thus, the TEAM Network is committed to making TEAM data globally accessible to the scientific and conservation communities and to the general public.
TEAM Network Data Access Requirements
The access to all TEAM data is subject to requirements set forth by this policy document to enable data providers to track usage, evaluate its impact in the community, and confirm users' acceptance of the terms of acceptable use. These requirements are standardized across the TEAM Network to provide contractual exchange of data among Network Data Providers and Data Users that can be encoded into electronic form and exchanged between computers. This will allow direct access to data through a common portal once these requirements have been fulfilled. The following information is required directly or by proxy prior to the transference of any data object:
3. Email Address
4. Full Contact Information
5. Acceptance of the Data Use Agreement
6. A Statement of Intended Use that is compliant with the above agreements. Such statements may be submitted explicitly or made implicitly via the data access portal interface.
General Data Use Agreement
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. Use of the Data Set (defined below) is subject to the terms and conditions of the agreement set forth below. By receiving a TEAM Data Set, the Data User (defined below) agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions of this General Data Use Agreement ("Agreement"). By refusing to agree to the terms provided herein, the Data User is not authorized to use the Data Set.
"Data Set" - Digital data and its metadata provided through the data access portal interface, or through other media, including data and metadata derived from TEAM monitoring protocols, including field observations, collections, laboratory analysis, or the post-processing of existing data and identified by a unique identifier issued by the TEAM Network.
"Data User" - individual to whom access may be granted to this Data Set in dependence on that Data User’s acceptance of this Agreement, including his or her immediate collaboration sphere, defined here as the institutions, partners, students and staff with whom the Data User collaborates, and with whom access must be granted, in order to fulfill the Data User's intended use of the Data Set.
"Data Set Creator" - individual or institution that produced the Data Set.
"Data Set Distributor" - individual or institution providing access to the Data Sets.
"Data Set Contact" - party designated in the accompanying metadata of the Data Set as the primary contact for the Data Set.
Conditions of Use
The re-use of scientific data has the potential to greatly increase communication, collaboration and synthesis within and among disciplines, and to improve the scientific foundations for conservation, and thus is fostered, supported and encouraged by the TEAM Network. The Data Set Creator hereby grants to the Data User a non-exclusive royalty-free license to use this Data Set, subject to the following terms:
1) Acceptable use. Use of the Data Set is restricted to academic, research, educational, government, recreational, or other not-for-profit professional purposes. The Data User is permitted to produce and distribute derived works from this Data Set provided that those derivatives are released under the same license terms as those accompanying this Data Set. Any other uses for the Data Set or its derived products will require explicit permission from the Data Set Creator.
2) Redistribution. The Data Set is provided for use by the Data User. The metadata and this license must accompany all copies made and be available to all users of this Data Set. The Data User will not redistribute the original Data Set beyond this collaboration sphere.
3) Authorship. The Data Set has been licensed in the spirit of open scientific collaboration. The Data User agrees to notify the Data Set Creator prior to use of the data, and to provide an explanation of how the Data Set is intended to be used. In addition, the Data User agrees to offer co-authorship to the Data Set Creator if such co-authorship is requested by the Data Set Creator.
4) Citation. The TEAM Data are made immediately available as close as possible after field collection, however, taxonomic identification and other quality control processes may require several months to complete. Therefore, the TEAM data may undergo periodic revision and it is necessary to track Data Set versions in any derived products. Thus, the Data User agrees to properly cite the Data Set, including the Data Set Identifier, in any publications or in the metadata of any derived data products that are produced using the Data Set. Citation shall take the following general form: Creator, Year of Data Publication, Title of Dataset, Dataset Identifier.
5) Acknowledgment. The Data User agrees to include the following acknowledgment in any publications where the Data Set contributed significantly to its content: "All data in this publication were provided by the Tropical Ecology Assessment and Monitoring (TEAM) Network, a collaboration between Conservation International, the Missouri Botanical Garden, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Wildlife Conservation Society, and partially funded by these institutions, the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, and other donors."
In addition, the Data User agrees to include any additional acknowledgment of institutional support or specific funding awards provided in the metadata accompanying this Data Set in any publications where the Data Set contributes significantly to its content.
6) Notification. The Data User will register the citations to all publications and derivative works based on or derived from the Data Set at www.teamnetwork.org or, if the registry is not available, by sending an email message containing the complete citation to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, the Data User will notify the Data Set Contact when any derivative work or publication based on or derived from the Data Set is distributed. The Data User will provide the TEAM Network Office and the Data Contact with two reprints of any publications resulting from use of the Data Set and will provide copies, or on-line access to, any derived digital products.
By accepting this Data Set, the Data User agrees to abide by the terms of this agreement. The Data Creator and the TEAM Network shall have the right to terminate this agreement immediately by written notice upon the Data User's breach of, or non-compliance with, any of its terms. The Data User may be held responsible for any misuse that is caused or encouraged by the Data User's failure to abide by the terms of this agreement.
COMPLETE ACCURACY OF DATA AND METADATA ARE NOT GUARANTEED. ALL DATA AND METADATA ARE MADE AVAILABLE "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE DATA USER HOLDS ALL PARTIES INVOLVED IN THE PRODUCTION OR DISTRIBUTION OF THE DATA SET HARMLESS FROM DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ITS USE OR INTERPRETATION INCLUDING ANY CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SPECIAL DAMAGES OR LOST PROFITS.
It is the policy of the TEAM Network to make every reasonable effort to resolve all issues or disputes that may arise under this Agreement fairly by negotiation without litigation, if practicable. Any dispute arising out of or relating to this Agreement which is not settled by agreement of the parties shall be finally settled by arbitration in accordance with the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules as at present in force. Any disputes that cannot be resolved by negotiation shall be subject to arbitration using a single arbitrator. The arbitration shall take place in Arlington, Virginia, and the results of which shall be final, non-appealable, binding on each party, and enforceable in any court of competent jurisdiction. The terms and conditions of this Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the Virginia without regard to any conflicts of laws principles.
DATA USER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HE/SHE HAS READ AND UNDERSTANDS THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREES TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS. DATA USER FURTHER AGREES THAT THIS AGREEMENT SUPERSEDES ANY PREVIOUS LICENSE, AGREEMENT, OR PROPOSAL, WHETHER WRITTEN OR ORAL, AND ANY OTHER COMMUNICATIONS RELATING TO THE SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT.
Creation and Review Dates