Taken from sections of the Report:
The main purpose of the 1999-2000 Antarctic MAGIP Field Program was to provide survey support to a number of operations being undertaken around the Davis area.
These include aerial photography of the penguin rookeries, Tide Gauge work, GPS control of benchmarks in the Vestfold Hills and other associated levelling projects.
Myself, Mark Anderson, from the ... Centre for Spatial Information Science, University of Tasmania, was appointed as Surveyor for the 1999/00 season. I was to work in conjunction with Technical Consultant Roger Handsworth on various projects at Davis Station.
The 1999-2000 MAGIP Field Program Surveyor's Brief outlines the work to be undertaken during the period from V4 to V6 and is included in the Appendix of this report.
This year the Surveyor's program consisted of the following major projects:
- Aerial Photography of penguin rookeries
- This includes the aerial photography of the penguin colonies using the Linhoff camera. These penguin colonies are located on the Islands in the Davis station area.
- Antarctic Tide Gauge Network
- To locate the already installed mount for the new tide gauge using current markers and a new camera device, and then to deploy the new tide gauge in to this mooring.
- Download data from existing tide gauges in the Davis area
- Level run from AUS184 to the ARGN site.
- Level run from AUS184 and AUS186 to HBM1 and HBM2 along specified routes as requested in brief.
- Location of benchmarks in the Vestfold Hills using GPS
- The listing of those benchmarks already controlled in previous seasons can be found in Matt King et al's report from last season.
- This year it is envisaged to survey benchmarks in the outer areas of the Vestfold Hills as a priority.
- Photographs of all benchmarks showing the general area of their location is to be taken.
- Confirmation of the description of benchmarks in the Vestfold Hills area.
- Locate all new services and buildings in the station area and remove from maps all those buildings and services that no longer exist.
- Repair of 'tide pole' at Deep Lake.
Survey specifications, details to be included in the report and other such information can be found in the 1999-2000 brief to Surveyor's included in Appendix A of this report.
The Related URLs include links to where the following can be downloaded:
1 The survey report;
2 GIS data representing features at Davis and Macquarie Island station. Data resulting from this survey has Dataset_id = 35 in the attribute table.
Features surveyed are listed in the report.