Cloquet Forestry Center, Department of Forestry, College of Natural Resources, University of Minnesota
Data Center Description
The Cloquet Forestry Center which started in 1909 as an experimental, and demonstration forest, is administered by the University of Minnesota's College of Natural Resources. The Center resulted from the vision and enthusiasm of Professor Samuel B. Green, the founder and first head of the University's forestry school. He advocated establishing a forestry field station as early as 1896. Green also felt that a forestry field station should be located in the vicinity of an important sawmill center. The town of Cloquet at that time easily met those requirements, but it was the opening of the land in the Fond du Lac Indian Reservation for sale to outsiders that provided the opportunity to establish the research forest.
The St. Louis River Mercantile Company with the understanding that while the title to the land would go to the University, the company would retain the timber rights paid for the initial block of 2,215 acres.
Their mission is to conduct applied education, research and outreach related to northern forests.