Data Center Description
The Susquehanna River Basin Commission is a water management agency serving the Susquehanna River Watershed area. The mission of the Susquehanna River Basin Commission (SRBC), which is defined in the Compact, is to enhance public welfare through comprehensive planning, water supply allocation, and management of the water resources of the Susquehanna River Basin.
To accomplish this mission, the SRBC works to: reduce damages caused by floods; provide for the reasonable and sustained development and use of surface and ground water for municipal, agricultural, recreational, commercial and industrial purposes; protect and restore fisheries, wetlands and aquatic habitat; protect water quality and instream uses; and ensure future availability of flows to the Chesapeake Bay.
The SRBC is uniquely qualified to carry out this mission. As a federal-interstate compact commission, its focus is defined by the natural boundaries of the river basin rather than the political boundaries of the member states. As such, the SRBC serves as a forum to provide coordinated management, promote communication among the members, and resolve water resource issues and controversies within the basin.
The goals of the Susquehanna River Basin Commission are:
1. To be responsive to water resource management needs of SRBC's signatory members;
2. To provide excellent service to the public;
3. To coordinate management of interstate water resources and serve as an effective forum for resolution of water resource issues and controversies within the basin;
4. To be a leader in issues concerning the conservation, utilization, allocation, development, and management of water resources within the Susquehanna River Basin;
5. To encourage excellence in SRBC staff by affording opportunities for professional growth and development and by providing a stimulating work environment for all Commission employees; and
6. To provide public information and education about the water resources of the basin.