The Canadian Forest Service (CFS), a sector of Natural Resources Canada, is the primary federal agency with forestry expertise and responsibilities. The CFS's mandate is &to promote the sustainable development and competitiveness of Canada's forest sector for the well-being of present and future generations of Canadians
Managing Canada's forests is a challenge as immense as the country itself. Because Canada is so vast and its forests so diverse, forestry policies and practices differ between provinces. While each province is responsible for managing its forest resource, the Canadian Forest Service addresses national and international issues affecting Canada's forests as a whole.
Recognized worldwide for excellence in science and technology, the Pacific Forestry Centre is one of five Canadian Forest Service research and development centres committed to the sustainable development and competitiveness of the Canadian forest sector. The Pacific Forestry Centre provides essential forestry research to secure the social, economic and environmental value of the forest for future generations.
The Pacific Forestry Centre, as part of the Canadian Forest Service, is responsible for:
- enhancing Canada's forests and forest sector through the discovery, development, demonstration and transfer of innovations;
- conducting and publishing research in the areas of forest resources, forest protection, the forest environment, and wood utilization;
- providing technical advice and scientific information to clients;
- providing funding and technical services for forest management on federal and Indian lands;
- generating sound economic information, statistics and advice; and
- addressing industry, trade and general international issues and opportunities in support of the forest sector.
Working with the four other Canadian Forest Service centres and national headquarters, the Pacific Forestry Centre is committed to excellence in forest research. Through our efforts and those of our partners, we are working to promote the responsible management of Canada's forests.