Great Lakes Science Center, Biological Resources Division, U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Department of the Interior
Data Center Description
The Great Lakes Science Center is located on the North Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. 107 staff members are located in Ann Arbor and half are located at one of the Center's field stations. The Great Lakes Science Center exists to meet the Nation's need for scientific information for restoring, enhancing, managing, and protecting living resources and their habitats.
The Center's first director, Dr. John Van Oosten of GLSC begun in 1871when Congress, by joint resolution, established the United States Fish Commission. The current center was established in 1927, which bared the name Great Lakes Biological Laboratory. Over the years a number of name changes and partnerships were made. In 1996, the National Biological Service was abolished and the Great Lakes Science Center is moved into the USGS as part of its newly created Biological Resources Division.