Global Energy and Water Cycle Experiment
Project DescriptionThe Global Energy and Water Cycle Experiment (GEWEX) is a
program initiated by the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
to observe, understand and model the hydrological cycle and
energy fluxes in the atmosphere, at land surface and in the
upper oceans. GEWEX is an integrated program of research,
observations, and science activities ultimately leading to the
prediction of global and regional climate change. The
International GEWEX Project Office (IGPO) is the focal point for
the planning and implementation of all GEWEX Projects and
The goal of the GEWEX Program is to reproduce and predict, by
means of suitable models, the variations of the global
hydrological regime, its impact on atmospheric and surface
dynamics, and variations in regional hydrological processes and
water resources and their response to changes in the
environment, such as the increase in greenhouse gases. GEWEX
will provide an order of magnitude improvement in the ability to
model global precipitation and evaporation as well as accurate
assessment of the sensitivity of atmospheric radiation and
clouds to climate change.
Objectives of the GEWEX Program:
1. Determine the hydrological cycle and energy fluxes by means
of global measurements of atmospheric and surface properties.
2. Model the global hydrological cycle and its impact on the
atmosphere, oceans and land surfaces.
3. Develop the ability to predict the variations of global and
regional hydrological processes and water resources, and their response
to environmental change.
4. Advance the development of observing techniques, data management,
and assimiliation systems for operational application to long-range
weather forecasts, hydrology, and climate predictions.
GEWEX Program Strategy:
1. Build on existing programs and data.
2. Conduct modeling programs to model all aspects of the
hydrologic and energy cycles with evolving fully coupled
3. Make recommendations to space agencies with respect to instruments
planned for satellite platforms.
4. Conduct pilot studies with international participation
encompassing the full range of experimental scales:
For more information, link to http://www.gewex.org/gewex_overview.html