Royal Jardin Botanico, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Espana
Data Center Description
The foundation of the Royal Botanic Garden of Madrid was ordered by King Ferdinand VI in 1755 and, during the reign of Charles III, the Garden was installed in its present location, the Paseo del Prado in Madrid. The architects Francesco Sabatini and Juan de Villanueva took part in the design of the Garden’s new frame.
From the very beginning, the aim of the Garden was not only to exhibit plants, but to teach Botany, promote expeditions for the discovery of new plant species and classify them. The Garden became part of the Spanish Council for Scientific Research (Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, CSIC) in 1939 and was declared Artistic Garden in 1942.
Nowadays, the 20 acres of the Royal Botanic Garden of Madrid are divided into three areas. The most important buildings in the Garden are the Villanueva Pavilion, the Graells Greenhouse and the Exhibition Greenhouse, which was inaugurated in 1993. The Exhibition Greenhouse reflects faithfully the essence and spirit of this institution. In this greenhouse, more than a thousand of species are cultivated in three different modules: tropical, desertic and subtropical species. It was built with modern materials and uses the latest clean energy technologies.
The Garden also houses an important botanical research center with the latest technological equipment, a herbarium with more than a million of specimens, and a library with more than 32.000 volumes. All these resources are used to botanical research, mainly on Spanish and American floras.