Office of Response and Restoration, National Ocean Service, NOAA, U.S. Department of Commerce
Data Center Description
The primary activities of NOAA's Office of Response and
Restoration (NOAA ORR) are to:
1. respond to dozens of spills of oil and other hazardous materials each year.
2. help emergency planners prepare for potential accidents.
3. create software, databases, and other tools to help people
respond to hazardous materials accidents.
4. work to find remedies for environmental damage caused by
hazardous waste sites in coastal areas.
5. assess injury to coastal resources from releases of oil,
other hazardous materials, vessel groundings, and abandoned
vessels, and pursue restoration from those responsible for the
[Summary provided by NOAA]