Norwegian Meteorological Institute, Norway
Service Provider DescriptionThe Norwegian Meteorological Institute provides the public with meteorological
services for both civil and military purposes. The institute is to provide services
for the authorities, commerce and industry, institutions and the general public for
the protection of their interests, for the protection of life and property, for
planning and for the protection of the environment.
The official duties of the Norwegian Meteorological Institute include:
* Issue weather forecasts
* Study the national climatological conditions and produce climatological reports
* Provide meteorological observations from Norway, adjacent sea areas, and
from the Svalbard area
* Carry out research and development in support of the institute's operational
functions to ensure that the services are of the highest possible standard
* Make available the results of our work
* Provide special services for the public and private interests on a commercial
* Participate in international meteorological co-operation.
The Norwegian Meteorological Institute headquarters is located in Oslo with regional
offices in Tromsø and Bergen. It operates 3 Arctic stations (Jan Mayen, Bjørnøya,
Norway is a member of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the European
Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF), and the European Organisation for
the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites (EUMETSAT). The institute is actively
involved in the work of these organisations.