Land Use and Land Cover Change, IGBP
The Land Use and Land Cover Change (LUCC) Project is a Programme
Element of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme (IGBP) of
the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) and the
International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental
Change (IHDP) of the International Social Science Council (ISSC).
This Core Project is an interdisciplinary programme aimed to improve
understanding of land use and land cover change dynamics and their
relationships with global environmental change. From inception, the
planning and implementation of the project has actively engaged both the
physical and social science communities.
- to obtain a better understanding of global land-use and
land-cover driving forces.
- to investigate and document temporal and geographical dynamics of
land-use and land-cover.
- to define the links between sustainability and various land uses.
- to understand the inter-relationship between LUCC, biogeochemistry
LUCC's three focus areas:
- Focus 1: Land-use dynamics - comparative case study analysis
- Focus 2: Land-cover dynamics - empirical observations and diagnostic models
- Focus 3: Regional and global integrated models
For more information visit the Land Use and Cover Change International
Project Office site at:
For more information on the International Geosphere-Biosphere Program
LUCC International Project Office
Institut Cartografic de Catalunya
Parc de Montjuic
Tel: (+34-3) 425 2900
Fax: (+34-3) 426 7442