RAPPLS Surveys (Radar, Aerial Photography, Pyrometer, and Laser Scanning system) made during the SIPEX II voyage of the Aurora Australis, 2012Entry ID: SIPEX_II_RAPPLS
Abstract: This dataset contains the data collected during the RAPPLS (Radar, Aerial Photography, Pyrometer, and Laser Scanning system) flights that were undertaken as a part of the SIPEX II (Sea Ice Physics and Ecosystems Experiment II) Antarctic marine science voyage in September-November 2012.
The RAPPLS project involved designing and using a system using a helicopter with mounted sensors to record data ... while flying over sea ice.
The RAPPLS helicopter is an Aerospaciale AS 350 BA "Squirrel" helicopter with a range of scientific equipment mounted to it. These are generally imaging instruments that are used to derive snow and ice properties, such as roughness, surface elevation and skin temperature. The following is a list of instruments used and parameters measured:
- 2-8 GHz frequency modulated continuous wave radar, measuring impedance differences between snow and sea ice;
- Hasselblad H3D II 50 camera, taking aerial photographs at about 13 cm resolution every 3-5 seconds
- Heitronics KT 19 pyranometer, measuring skin surface temperature
- Riegl LMS Q240i-60 scanning LiDAR, measuring surface elevation of sea ice above sea level
All data are geo-located with a combined inertial navigation and global positioning system, OxTS RT-4003.
See Australian Antarctic Division Science Technical Support Project 07006 for detailed Engineering documents.
Detailed flight information for each flight is available from WORD documents for each survey.
Contained in this dataset are the following files:
- A MS Word log file for all flights;
- A QGIS map file showing all flights;
- A folder for each flight containing the following (named - Date - Fxx - Mission:
- A Microsoft Word document explaining the flight intentions, issues, and outcomes (flight log);
- A folder of the photos taken by the Hasselblad camera;
- A folder of raw and processed INS data:
- RD files, which are raw INS and can be opened RT_PostProcess software;
- PNG Files showing flight track, created with RT_View software based on NCOM files resulting from RT_PostProcess;
- A folder with log files for Errors, Events, LaserScanner, Pyrometer, and INS. This folder also includes Q24 file of raw laser scanner data (purpose written software to analyse the data is available with the 2008 data set);
- A folder with time synchronisation log file.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Lieser, J., Newbery, K., Jansen, P.W., Steer, A., Whiteside, S. and Massom, R.
Dataset Title: RAPPLS Surveys (Radar, Aerial Photography, Pyrometer, and Laser Scanning system) made during the SIPEX II voyage of the Aurora Australis, 2012
Dataset Series Name: CAASM Metadata
Dataset Release Date: 2016-06-30
Dataset Publisher: Australian Antarctic Data Centre
Dataset DOI: doi:10.4225/15/57749CB4652C4Online Resource: https://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/metadata_redirect.cfm?md=/AMD...
Start Date: 2012-09-25Stop Date: 2012-11-06
Quality The FMCW RADAR proved to be recalcitrant and did not work during the experiment; no scientific data were collected.
Issues specific to particular flights are contained in the flight logs.
Access Constraints These data are publicly available, however, owing to their size, for access please contact the Australian Antarctic Data Centre.
Use Constraints This data set conforms to the PICCCBY Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=SIPEX_II... when using these data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: HTTP
Distribution Size: 1.86 TB
Add citation here OR in the subfields below.
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2013-03-01
Last DIF Revision Date: 2017-08-24