High resolution digital aerial surveys of portions of the Vestfold Hills and Rauer GroupEntry ID: Davis_2009_Aerial_Photography
Click to see members of this collection.
Abstract: High resolution digital aerial photography of Adelie penguin colonies, Davis Station, Heidemann Valley, and other various areas, LIDAR scanning of portions of the Vestfold Hills, Rauer Islands and sea ice in front of the Amery Ice Shelf, conducted from 2009/11/17 to 2009/11/23.
Some of the aerial photography has been conducted in support of various AAS projects:
AAS 3012 (ASAC_3012)
AAS 2722 ... (ASAC_2722)
AAS 1034 (ASAC_1034)
AAS 3130 (ASAC_3130)
A short list of the work carried out:
- Long duration over water/sea ice flights for the purposes of "Investigation of physical and biological processes in the Antarctic sea ice zone during spring using in situ, aircraft and underwater observations".
- Over-flights at 750m over specific islands in the Vestfold Hills and Rauer Islands known to hold Adelie colonies.
- Transects of flights were performed over Davis station, at 500m altitude, taking photos and LIDAR measurements.
- The evaluation of the APPLS equipment (camera, LIDAR, electronics, software) was performed and in parallel to the other tasks.
- Production a digital elevation model of the Heidemann Bay Area.
- Aerial photography / LIDAR of moss beds in the Vestfold Hills area.
- The Marine Plain area, south east of Davis, was mapped using LIDAR and aerial imagery for the purposes of general Antarctic information.
- The Vestfold Lakes, particularly Lake Druzby, Watts Lake, Lake Nicholson and Crooked Lake provide interesting aerial imagery.
- The opportunity was taken to visit the plateau skiway (at 'Woop woop') and estimate the effort in opening the skiway later in the season.
- Fly over and photograph the length of the resupply fuel hose from the AA to the shore.
- The Russian 'Progress 1 and 2', and Chinese Zhong Shan stations were over flown and aerial imagery collected.
Taken from the report:
This document describes the results of the use of the APPLS (Aerial Photographic Pyrometer Laser System) at Davis during resupply 2009/2010 (November 17 to 24, 2009). This document is primarily for Science Technical Support use.
Portions of the report can be used to provide information on the results obtained to other parts of AAD.
Data Set Citation
Dataset Originator/Creator: Lieser, J.L., Brolsma, H. and Newbery, K.
Dataset Title: High resolution digital aerial survey and LIDAR scanning of portions of the Vestfold Hills and Rauer Group
Dataset Series Name: CAASM Metadata
Dataset Release Date: 2010-02-24
Dataset Publisher: Australian Antarctic Data Centre
Dataset DOI: doi:10.4225/15/5774808130A8BOnline Resource: https://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/metadata_redirect.cfm?md=/AMD...
Start Date: 2009-11-17Stop Date: 2009-11-23
BIOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION > ANIMALS/VERTEBRATES > BIRDS > PENGUINS
BIOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION > PLANTS > MOSSES/HORNWORTS/LIVERWORTS
BIOSPHERE > ECOSYSTEMS > FRESHWATER ECOSYSTEMS > LAKE/POND
CRYOSPHERE > SEA ICE
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > BOUNDARIES > BOUNDARY SURVEYS
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > INFRASTRUCTURE
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > INFRASTRUCTURE > BUILDINGS
HUMAN DIMENSIONS > INFRASTRUCTURE > TRANSPORTATION
OCEANS > SEA ICE
TERRESTRIAL HYDROSPHERE > SURFACE WATER > SURFACE WATER FEATURES > LAKES/RESERVOIRS
Quality See the report for further details.
Access Constraints A pdf copy of the report is available for download at the provided URL.
However the data is too large to be made available for download.
It is stored online at the Australian Antarctic Data Centre.
For access to the data please contact the investigator.
Use Constraints This data set conforms to the PICCCBY Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).
Please follow instructions listed in the citation reference provided at http://data.aad.gov.au/aadc/metadata/citation.cfm?entry_id=Davis_20... when using these data.
Data Set Progress
Distribution Media: DVD
Distribution Size: 1.12 TB
Distribution Format: image
Extended Metadata Properties
(Click to view more)
Creation and Review Dates
DIF Creation Date: 2016-06-29
Last DIF Revision Date: 2017-08-23