BEACON 2.0 - Beach Advisory and Closing On-line Notification
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) created the BEach Advisory and Closing Online Notification (BEACON) system to meet the Agency's requirement to provide to the public a database of pollution occurrences for coastal recreation waters. EPA's response to this requirement, BEACON, contains state-reported beach monitoring and notification data and is available online. EPA recently updated BEACON to include several enhancements and has named the new system BEACON 2.0. The BEACON 2.0 User's Guide describes how to use the online BEACON 2.0 system to obtain state-reported beach monitoring and notification data. |
BEACON 2.0 Features:
The revised BEACON system includes several enhancements from the previous version and now provides several ways to access beach monitoring and notification data. Enhancements include:
- Revised mapping interface: The new BEACON map includes many new features and has greater functionality.
- New report creation wizard: This tool walks users through three steps to select beaches, set search filters and view BEACON reports.
- New RSS feed generator: The BEACON RSS Generator provides you with the ability to generate an RSS feed for an area of interest.
Each feature is accessible from the BEACON 2.0 interface.
BEACON 2.0 reports have the functionality to accommodate a wide range of users. These user roles include:
- Basic: You can access reports via the map interface. Only five BEACON reports are available from the map interface, however, and selecting the reports via the map will return data for the select beach only.
- Intermediate: You can use the report creation wizard to select data by any combination of state/tribe/territory, county, and/or beach. The complete list of BEACON reports is available in the wizard.
- Advanced: Once a report is opened, you can use the filtering tools available on the report page to modify previously selected filters and/or add new, more advanced filters, as well as change the look and feel of a report.
[Summary provided by the US Environmental Protection Agency.]
Access the BEACON tool.
The BEACON 2.0 RSS Generator provides you with the ability to generate an RSS feed for an area of interest. Select the state, county, then move any beaches to the list to the far right using the arrows. Beaches from any state and county can be added to this list. The double arrows will move all of the records in the box to or from depending on which direction is selected. The single arrows will move the currently selected record to or from the box. Select the Generate RSS feed button to create the links.
VIEW RELATED INFORMATION
BEACON user guide.
None. Each feature is accessible from the BEACON 2.0 interface.
U.S. EPA OFFICE OF WATER CONTACT
OW-GENERAL at epa.gov
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Water (4101M)
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Province or State:
Tyler.B.Stevens at nasa.gov
5700 Rivertech Court
Province or State:
Creation and Review Dates
SERF Creation Date:
SERF Last Revision Date: