The mission of the Global Change Master Directory is to offer a high quality
resource for the discovery, access, and use of Earth science data and data-related
services worldwide, while specifically promoting the discovery and use of NASA
data as an integral part of NASA’s Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) project.
The directory resource is targeted to serve as a valued location for sharing
data from multinational sources and, in turn, will contribute to scientific research by
providing stewardship of metadata and direct access to Earth science data and
services. The GCMD is a premiere collaborative international resources linking scientists,
researchers, policy makers, and the general public with Earth science and environmental data.
As part of the overall mission, the GCMD supports NASA and
NASA partners in related activities including:
- Serves as one of NASA's contributions
to the Committee on Earth Observation
Satellites (CEOS) by developing tools in the support of the International
Directory Network (IDN).
- Serves as the maintenance
body for the
Directory Interchange Format
standard through the "Interoperability
Forum", thus contributing
a distinctly valuable service
to the Earth science user community.
- Works with CEOS partners in
developing tools aimed at unifying the international communities.
- Collaborates with other partners and organizations.
- Creates search "portals"
for associated groups who wish
to share their data set descriptions through
the GCMD and also wish to offer a focused view of their specific data.
- Assists associated distributed data systems in locating specific
- Maintains one of the world's most
popular hierarchical set of Earth
- Earth science community is encouraged to contribute to the development and evolution of GCMD keywords a keyword request and serving as a keyword reviewer (Contact the ESDIS Standards office if interested in reviewing).
- Supports NASA Federation of Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) community.
- Provides a customized ESIP data portal to search for data holdings from ESIP members.
- Contributes in the ESIP committees: (1) Documentation (2) Semantic Technology and (3) Partnership Committee.
Global Change Master Directory staff plans
its work in line with the GCMD's mission statement,
in conjunction with the goals and responsibilities
as the International Directory Network (IDN) of the
Committee on Earth Observation Satellites' (CEOS),
the shared goals with EOSDIS.